These savory muffins, reminiscent of bagels (but easier to digest!), have the surprise of a burst of Treeline Chive and Onion Cream Cheese in the middle. Theyre a fantastic accompaniment with almost any type of soup. Recipe by Nava Atlas, TheVeganAtlas.com.
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or light spelt flour, or a combination
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup plain plant-based milk, or as needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 12 rounded teaspoons Treeline Chive and Onion cream cheese
- Poppy seeds for topping
- Sesame seeds for topping, optional
Shop the Product
- Preheat the oven to 350º F
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together well.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the applesauce, plant-based milk, olive oil, and poppy seeds. Stir until well combined, adding a bit more plant-based milk if needed to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the batter into 12 paper-lined muffin tins. Place a teaspoon of vegan cream cheese in the center of each. Spoon the remaining batter into the muffin tins, covering the cream cheese completely. Top with a sprinkling of extra poppy seeds, plus some sesame seeds for a nice touch.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Remove the muffins from the tins as soon as they’re cool enough to handle, then cool on a rack or a plate.
**Variation: Skip the poppy and sesame seeds and use Everything Bagel seasoning instead.