This vegan burger recipe masters both texture and umami flavor with shiitake mushrooms and caramelized onions combined with brown rice. Melt your favorite Treeline slices on the patty and add your go-to burger topping and condiments for a healthy and satisfying plant-based alternative for your next BBQ.
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice (measured after cooking)
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Treeline slices
- Vegan hamburger buns
- Tomato, pickles, lettuce, etc.
- Condiments of choice
- Begin by caramelizing the onions in 1 tbsp avocado oil over medium heat until onions are translucent, then add 2 tbsp water, reduce heat to low and cover until they have taken on color (about 20 minutes). Add the mushrooms and sauté about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Set aside.
- Add the rice to a food processor or blender and pulse until lightly crumbled. Add the mushrooms and onions and pulse until mushrooms are broken down. Add the remaining ingredients, minus the oil, and pulse until combined. The mixture should be a paste, but not too wet; add more oat flour if needed.
- Form the mixture into patties and pan fry over medium heat in the remaining oil until the outside is crisp and the inside is moderately firm.
- Place your Treeline slices on the patties and cover the pan until melted, about 5 minutes. Assemble your burger using any toppings you’d like and enjoy!